Sunday, December 4, 2011

First Ever Poem

I'm drowning.
Head under water, incapable of taking a breath.
An unoriginal idea, I know,
But true none the less.
I'm overwhelmed, surrounded,
I can't find a solid foundation on which to place my feet.
I am clinging to life by instinct alone, only my body's inbred desire to live protects me.
I see an island, a safe haven, a mere swim away.
Do I seek out this refuge? Do I take the lifeline fate has bestowed upon me?
No. I stay where I am.
That land is too unknowable, too frightening.
I can not bear the idea of what may await me on that foreign place.
It is much safer to flounder in these familiar waters,
Easier to avoid those potential dangers and hardships,  and strive to remain afloat.
Besides, I'm used to these struggles. I can handle them.
I will make the journey tomorrow,
Tomorrow is a much better day for such things.
For now I am content with where I am.
I am drowning.




I know it doesn't rhyme and it isn't what you would call "good", but it was my first shot so cut me some slack.

1 comment:

  1. *a round of applause*

    Wonderful.

    This is totally the direction I originally thought you were going:

    "Help me, help me, I'm drowning in his beautiful aqua eyes!!"

    Fail.

    ReplyDelete